Thursday, July 5, 2007

The Austin Whetsell Memorial Fund: Supporting the Mission in Mexico

It has been humbling every time I have spoken with Walter this week as I consider what he and Kim are experiencing and hear of his passion for the people and the mission of Christ in Zihuantanejo. As friends, people want to contribute to the fund to ensure that Walter & Kim don't face any financial burdens coming from this tragedy. Walter & Kim really appreciate this kind and loving motive, but want the emphasis on supporting the mission he and Austin went to help in Mexico. Specifically, the church has hoped to purchase some property near its main building in order to expand the ministry. Walter & Kim want the fund to primarily pay for that property (we have put some requests in to determine what it would take to purchase the land but are still waiting to hear back). This spirit of generosity speaks for itself.

Folks have expressed a desire to purchase flowers for the funeral. The Whetsells wanted to pass along to you all that they too love flowers and there will be flowers on Sunday but in lieu of purchasing flowers please make a contribution to the memorial fund.

It has been an honor and a privilege to serve this family. I hope you feel the same. Please continue to serve them by lifting them up in prayer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Someone once told me that no one dies before God's purpose for their life has been fulfilled. In the midst of this darkness, it must be amazing to know that Austin filled God’s purpose for his life and allowed him to touch so many peoples' lives in such a short time. It takes some people 100 years to do what he did in such a short time. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Anonymous said...

Hear my cry, O God;
Attend to my prayer.
From the end of the earth I will cry to You,
When my heart is overwhelmed;
Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.

For you have been a shelter for me,
A strong tower from the enemy.
I will abide in Your tabernacle forever;
I will trust in the shelter of Your wings. (Psalm 61:1-4)

My soul, wait silently for God alone,
For my expectation is from Him.
He only is my rock and my salvation;
He is my defense;
I shall not be moved.

In God is my salvation and my glory;
The rock of my strength,
And my refuge, is in God.

Trust in Him at all times, you people;
Pour out your heart before Him;
God is a refuge for us. (Psalm 62:5-8)

[I will pray for all of you unceasingly ~ A.G.]

Anonymous said...

I haven't quite known how to react since i heard the news of Austin. I didn't know him personally but I grew up going to Lexington Pres and I know a lot of people who are morning this loss. I just want to say that I am so sorry for this unexpected tragedy and I send my condolences to the Whetsell family and to everyone is missing their beloved friend. I dont understand why things like this happen and I cant spit out any cliche to help make sense of it all but I have never seen such unity and Christ-like love shared between a christian community before. Thank you for this blog and keeping us updated and thank you to the Whetsells for the example your family has been to so many of us. May God carry you through and comfort you and give you the strength to honor Him through this loss.